Friday, October 16, 2009

"My Life in Ruins"

"My Life in Ruins": Not a great movie...not even very good. However, I did like "My Life in Ruins" in spite of all that. (That said, I'm sure I feel this way because this was a NF rental...I doubt I would have been quite as pleased if I'd seen this at the theatre.)

It's corny, it's cheesy, it's beyond predictable. Then again, isn't that why we occasionally tune in to romantic comedies? The first quarter of the movie was rough...so much so that I almost gave up on it. But, there are laughs - from supporting cast like Richard Dreyfuss - and Nia Vardalos, in the lead as Georgia, eventually finds her groove or 'kefi', in Greek.

I loved "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding" but make no mistake these two movies have little in common other than a Greek theme and Nia Vardalos in a lead role. Which may have been part of the problem - where she shined in the former movie, here she felt wooden. Not sure if that's the script or...if she's just not really a good actress - sorry, Nia (though I also liked her a lot in her pairing with Toni Collette in "Connie and Carla"...if you want laughs, fun and high jinx - there's your movie!!).

No comments: