Friday, November 6, 2009

Clean Sweep

Now and again, I'll have movies out from Netflix that I've/we've wanted to see but they sit...and sit, collecting dust atop their little red envelopes. For whatever reason, nothing motivates either me or Sean to remove them from their sleeve to actually make it to the DVD player.

And so - clean sweep. All three were sent back yesterday, two never watched - "The Brothers Bloom" and "Away We Go" - and one, "The Shipping News", was half-watched--I got about forty-five minutes in one night a few weeks ago. I will say - it was shaping up to be an excellent movie between the caliber of acting talent - Judi Dench, Gordon Pinsent, Pete Posthelwaite, Kevin Spacey - however I succumbed to tiredness that one evening and...haven't returned to it since. I'll probably wind up watching it again from the beginning sometime soon, it really was a beautiful movie...just will need to wait for the mood to strike me. Same goes for "The Brothers Bloom" (starring Mark Ruffalo, who I adore, and Rachel Weisz) and "Away We Go".

On to the new: slated to arrive tomorrow are "Prison Break: The Final Break" (faithful readers will remember that Sean & I were diehard fans of this Fox show...well, until the last season which was just comical) and "The Answer Man" with Lauren Graham (of the wonderful "Gilmore Girls") and Jeff Daniels, a great actor who is not the typical Hollywood actor--he continues to live in his home state of Michigan and does a lot for the state to promote their business & economy. Daniels also gave back to his community by founding a theatre there in 1991; the Purple Rose Theatre Company named for the Woody Allen vehicle in which he starred in back in 1985, "The Purple Rose of Cairo".

While "The Answer Man" didn't fare well at theatres, it was well received at Sundance and is one I've wanted to see for a while.

So stay tuned, reviews for both of these flicks should follow shortly as they're both ones I'm excited to see at the moment.

No comments: