Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's finished, capsice?

In other words - I'm finally done reading "The Gold Coast", Nelson DeMille's entertaining depiction of the old money of Long Island's uber-elite Gold Coast meeting a slice of Brooklyn, Mafia-style...a meeting which forever transformed two families. And...I loved it.

Nelson DeMille is a gifted writer - one of my favorites - who not only has a good ear for dialogue but is also able to fully transport you to a specific time, space & place. He creates a main character, John Sutter, so strong that his story warranted a sequel, "The Gate House", which was published in October, 2008. You can be sure I will be returning to the adventures of Sutter, his family and acquaintances in the near future.

The only thing I'd advise when taking on a longer Nelson DeMille title is that you must have patience. I have, on numerous occasions, polished off a book in a week, a few days, even a day; I have never found this the case with a DeMille title. His works are typically lengthy so it does seem an investment to spend a month or two (or longer!) in the fictional world that springs to life in his pages. Trust me - the investment IS worth it.

No comments: