Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Riding the 6 line with Travolta & Co.

First - apologies for hiatus. Have I been busy? Sure. Too busy to write? Well, no. But, I'm back so let's focus on that : )

Just saw the remake of "The Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3" last night with a good friend and we both agreed - great flick! We were also surprised that some critics panned it as we felt it met the criteria of a good summer movie: action-packed, edge-of-your-seat, with great actors to take you along for the ride: Denzel, Travolta, James Gandolfini (really good as NYC's fictional mayor with Giuliani-esque traits), John Turturro, Luis Guzman...to name a few. Washington is excellent, as always - has he ever phoned in a performance?? - and he and Travolta had a good working chemistry. I'm talking in broad strokes as I don't want to be the person who spoils any plot points for anyone...

I liked the way the film was shot...fast-moving images of NYC in addition to momentary halts in the action to let you know the countdown to the deadline Travolta's character, Ryder, has set. For some, this may be distracting; I found the 'real time' countdown to be something that heightened the suspense level--will NYPD be able to meet Ryder's demands in time??

I will say I'm unable to compare how this fares with the original as I've never seen the 1974 original starring Walter Matthau, however I'm now very interested in seeing it. From what I've read about this film, it obviously portrays a different NYC - one from 35 years ago - and, while the pace may be slower than the '09 remake, it is apparently no less taut of a thriller.

I'll let you know once I see this one via Netflix, looking forward to it.


SEE!

No comments: