Friday, July 3, 2009

"Tell No One"

Happy 4th!! Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend :) Maybe we'll actually get sunshine & temps above 70 degrees here in the Northeast. I know, I know - wishful thinking. Sigh...

Just finished the French thriller, "Tell No One", which was a film I'd been wanting to see for a while. It's based on a book by Harlan Coban, an author from the NY/NJ area who regularly churns out some great page turners that keep me reading long into the night.

The plot: Dr. Beck was once a suspect in his wife's murder. While he has tried to move on, everything comes crashing back when two dead bodies are found near his home and Beck is again a suspect. In the meantime, he begins to receives anonymous emails with photos that show his wife, Margot, to be alive and well yet clearly specify: "tell no one". Stars the wonderful Kristin Scott Thomas as Beck's sister-in-law.

Sounds great, right?

Perhaps I liked the book too much. Perhaps my expectations were too high. In any event - it was a decent movie that, overall, fell short for me. In this case, the acting was good but the story itself was too long...too much build-up to get to the suspenseful ending.

Now I understand why this film never got off the ground here in the States; apparently, several years ago, Keanu Reeves was to star as the doctor. (Though had it come to fruition...Keanu would NOT have been the guy to pull off this role...while he is good in certain roles...I don't think he has the range to have played this part.)

I will note - the film was well-received by critics and I have several good friends who really enjoyed it. Just wanted to mention this since I could be in the minority here--I do tend to be a harsher critic when I've already read and liked the book first.


SKIP

No comments: