Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rare for me to not finish a book...

For starters, wish I weren't still up at this hour...much as I love dishing on my latest read or movie viewing.

That said, I am awake - barely - so thought I'd write a quick post.

I'm sorry to say that yet another Elin Hilderbrand title has left me disappointed and I've made the decision to not finish it and return it to my local library. "Beach Club" started amiably enough as we get a quick sketch of each of the characters that populate the popular Nantucket beach club each summer, from the seasonal workers to the regular guests. I actually read part of it a few weeks ago on a local beach and thought, 'ah, this is the life'. And then the book stalled...and I realized that I just didn't care enough about the characters and their summer dramas to continue.

Was it as bad as "Nantucket Nights", the title I reviewed a few weeks ago? Absolutely not. However, coming off a bad title by the same author made me less inclined to want to finish, even though this book was more interesting. (I'm hoping this makes sense since my head may, in fact, be nodding as I type!)

I'm not writing her off the island - funny since her works are all centered around Nantucket Island, ha ha - but may need to take a break from this author for a bit. I do have one of her very recent books - thanks to my sis! - but I'll wait awhile before I jump in.

In the meantime, I'm reading a great espionage thriller but that will have to wait for another post...sleep is my very near future!!

No comments: